[theme-reviewers] "Public facing" text should not mean the back end, only the front end

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Sep 13 17:11:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Lmm Muc <lmmmuc at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is most certainly required.  The phrase "public-facing text" means any
> text strings that can be read by someone viewing the site, front or back end
> (i.e., any text printed to the screen).  Text that does not face the public
> is text that is not printed to the screen.  It has nothing to do with front
> or back end of the site.   It has everything to do with what can be seen on
> the site versus what can be seen in the code.
>
> That's nothing more than your interpretation, and a questionable one, too, I
> might add.

Please, enough of this argument. It's extremely silly to begin with,
and frankly going nowhere. It's an argument based on opinions and not
facts.

So to cut it short, I'll just lay down a fact:

A theme that is "translation-ready" should have ALL TEXT translatable.
Both front and back end.

It's fine if you miss one or something, stuff happens, but you
shouldn't start translation-readying your theme with the notion that
you're only going to translate the front-end when most themes don't
have a whole heck of a lot of text on the front end to begin with. The
back-end is the majority of the text in themes, and YES, it should be
translatable too.

You may consider this to be "the word", if you like.

-Otto

P.S. Everybody on this list who receives "digest" emails: Please stop
replying to them and including the whole-damn-digest email in your
reply. Learn to edit your emails to only contain only the pertinent
text that you're replying to. It is extremely hard-to-impossible to
follow the conversation when you're including snippets of dozens of
conversations in the emails.