[theme-reviewers] Changing the screenshot guidelines (for HiDPI)

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Thu Sep 6 17:05:21 UTC 2012

Hi all. For WordPress 3.5, we've decided to add HiDPI ("retina") theme
screenshot support. Turns out, all we need here is a change in the
guideline. Rather than recommending 300x225, themes should start using an
image that is 600x450. Same 4:3 W:H ratio, just doubled.

This would *not* be a new screenshot-2x.png file. Rather, the standard
screenshot.png file should now be 600x450. For non-retina devices, the
browser will simply scale this down. Also note that this is fully
compatible with previous versions of WordPress, as we have *always* placed
height and width limitations on the screenshot via CSS. So you can start
doing this now, and it will look good in 3.4.

An aside, it would be pretty cool if Theme Check checked dimensions of
screenshot.png (if it does not already).

Nacin