[theme-reviewers] Accessibility Auditing of themes progress

Joe Dolson design at joedolson.com
Mon Nov 12 16:08:48 UTC 2012

A couple additional (and hopefully very rare circumstances) could be
screened programmatically -- a complete lack of <label> elements or
<h*> heading elements would be an automatic fail, as well. We may not
be able to verify that the elements are used correctly automatically,
but if they were absent, that would be a definite violation.

Best,
Joe

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM, esmi at quirm dot net <esmi at quirm.net> wrote:
> on 07/11/2012 23:40 Joe Dolson said the following:
> <snip>
>

>> I'm proposing that the tag value should be 'accessibility-ready', as
>> that, in my mind, best conveys the honest truth about a theme: that it
>> can do everything in its power to be accessible, but cannot guarantee
>> an accessible web site.
>

> I've updated the draft audit criteria page to incorporate the new tag.
> <http://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/theme-accessibility-audit-draft-proposal/>
>
> Point #3 (from Chip's original list of steps):
>

> "Identify accessibility guidelines that can be evaluated programmatically
> via Theme-Check where possible"
>
> Can the theme submission checks be extended to include looking for:
>
> - image markup that lacks the alt attribute?
> - empty links
> - tabindex attributes
> - accesskey attributes
>
> All of the above should result in immediate rejection when the theme's
> stylesheet also includes the 'accessibility-ready' tag - possibly with a
> suggestion that the accessibility audit criteria are reviewed or that the
> 'accessibility-ready' tag is removed.
>
> I can't think of any other audit points that could be screened
> programmatically.
>

> Mel
> --
> http://quirm.net
> http://blackwidows.co.uk

Did I help you with one of my plug-ins? Donations keep support
possible! http://www.joedolson.com/donate.php