[theme-reviewers] functions.php best practices and after_setup_theme

Kirk Wight kwight at kwight.ca
Tue Nov 6 17:59:52 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have it in my head that we require all functions in functions.php be
hooked to the appropriate action or filter (except setting $content_width
stuff), but don't see it in the guidelines.

Do we just mention this as best practice, but allow it otherwise?
Technically, I can't see it making a difference for setup stuff;
after_theme_setup fires immediately after functions.php gets loaded anyways
(but perhaps that cuts in line for plugin or core stuff that might be
hooked to after_theme_setup?..).

Thoughts?