[theme-reviewers] GPL-compatible social media icon sets

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu May 17 20:36:20 UTC 2012

I *do* agree that all license terms should be explicit. The user should,
with minimum effort, be able to find the exact terms under which bundled
resources in a Theme are released. However, I don't really see a benefit in
trying to maintain a "whitelist" of known GPL-compatible licenses on the
Theme Review Codex page.

It is imperative that we ensure end-user rights, but I see diminishing
returns to such efforts. It is the license terms, rather than the names,
that are important. As long as the reviewer - and ergo, the end user - can
readily find the terms under which the work is released, we fully ensure
that end-user rights are maintained.

For the case of the IconDock icons in question, I see no problem with
quoting the license terms in readme.txt, along with a reference URL.

That said: there is certainly no harm in *asking* a designer to release a
work under a "known" license. I just don't think we should arbitrarily
limit/hinder Theme developers (and by extension end users) because an
iconset designer chooses to use his own ad-hoc license terms - as long as
those ad-hoc license terms are GPL-compatible, of course.

Chip