[theme-reviewers] GPL-compatible social media icon sets

Kirk Wight kwight at kwight.ca
Thu May 17 17:03:31 UTC 2012

I have to disagree. Heck, I'll even call this a "slippery slope".

I would love to see all assets, scripts etc not created by the submitter to
be explicitly released under a GPL-compatible license listed on the Theme
Review Codex page. In turn, that license must be stated in readme.txt, and
any submitter should be able to provide a link to that license upon
reviewer request. If a submitter feels a license should be included on the
approved list, a reviewer can evaluate and make a recommendation.

It's very common to have these situations of "oh, they said we can use it
for whatever", in which a license may or may not have even been explicitly
declared, and it becomes the reviewer's duty to try and track down a
license and/or make an interpretation of whatever comes up. It becomes a
drain on reviewer resources, instead of a proper responsibility of the
submitter to meet requirements.

The wordpress.org repository is for GPL-compatible themes, and anyone
downloading these themes should be confident that that's what they are
getting. If someone insists on using assets that are vaguely licensed, or
fall under the "sure, yeah, whatever" umbrella, they are free to release
that theme however they choose, somewhere else.