[theme-reviewers] Theme Reviwers

Greg Priday greg at siteorigin.com
Fri May 4 08:15:29 UTC 2012

I feel there's a certain spirit of WordPress that makes the community
great and has helped it thrive.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using the style attribute here
and there, but I do feel it goes against this spirit. I'm sure most
WordPress developers will agree that using the style attribute just
doesn't feel right. To me, it just looks plain ugly - I dont even like
using them during development.

On the other hand, as a once-OO developer, I used to hate WordPress'
use of global variables all willy nilly. It's part of the spirit of
WordPress though, so I've learned to embrace, and even appreciate,
globals. So I definitely understand your views Sayontan. The spirit of
WordPress can sometimes be confusing, dogmatic, etc - but it's usually
for the best.

Time to get back to work. I'm sure we all have awesome stuff to build.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do we need to continue our "discussion" ? ;)
>

> By all means go ahead. As I said, your links give examples of repeated
> styles, which I am not disputing. As I pointed out in my previous post, for
> a style used only once, an inline style is less bloat, akin to the Hello
> World patterns example. (I had a much longer text written about repeated vs.
> non-repeated styles in one of my prior posts, but I deleted it because I
> wanted to shorten the mail)
>
> Anyway, I don't believe I am going to convince or be convinced, so this is
> the end of my contribution to this thread. Feel free to thrust this as a
> "REQUIRED" item for theme approval if you feel that is the best recourse. I
> still believe that enforcing "No inline styles" is dogmatic and without
> appropriate technical merit, but I am probably in a minority of 1.
>

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Emil Uzelac <emil at themeid.com> wrote:
>>
>> And to add and possibly finish this
>> up: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/secrets/web-page/replace-inline-style.html
>> was published in http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596515081/?tag=websiteoptimi-20
>> as well ;) Do we need to continue our "discussion" ? ;)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Emil

I make free WordPress themes
http://siteorigin.com