[theme-reviewers] Using DOMDocument

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu May 3 07:56:12 UTC 2012

On 3 May 2012 17:41, Greg Priday <greg at siteorigin.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I spent yesterday moving one of my sites over to a new web host, but I
> ran into issues because the host didn't have DOMDocument installed.
>
> The reason I bring this up is because I've submitted 2 themes for
> review and both of them rely quite heavily on DOMDocument. Was I wrong
> in thinking DOMDocument is a standard part of PHP 5+?
>
> http://php.net/manual/en/class.domdocument.php

It's a standard part of PHP5, however, not all PHP installs are
standard, It's not unexpected to find a host which has disabled/not
enabled parts of default PHP.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/dom.requirements.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/dom.installation.php

Rule of thumb: If the installation page lists a way to disable it,
there's a host that has disabled it. In many cases it's like relying
on a PHP Extension, which as you know, isn't always available.