[theme-reviewers] GPL-compatible social media icon sets

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue May 1 20:17:16 UTC 2012

Okay, here's the bottom line...

If you're releasing a package under a GPL-compatible license, then all
the elements in that theme need to be released under compatible
licenses as well. This isn't our restriction in particular, it's just
the way copyright law works. If somebody says that you can't do X with
their stuff, and you make a package with that in there and say that
you can do X with the package, then you have violated that person's
license. (Note: it's wholly different if you say that you can do X
except with some specific element. That would be okay as long as
you're abiding by the license of the included works.)

Now, in our directory, we require GPL-compatible themes. That's
"themes", as a whole package. This is best for our users (the people
who download and use the themes) because it gives them the same
freedoms we give them with WordPress itself. They're free to use,
adapt, modify, distribute, etc.

Because we care about the whole theme package, all the individual
elements in said theme must be compatible with this licensing as well.
And it is not in our best interests to help you, a theme author,
knowingly or unknowingly violate somebody else's license.

So regardless of what the author says in a tweet, or an email, or even
in person: if the actual terms of the license as given in the code or
on the website are not GPL-Compatible, then it is not allowed and
anything containing it will not be listed in the repository.

We expect people to respect the WordPress license, which means that we
must respect other people's licensing terms as well. Even if they give
permission, the word of the license as written takes precedence.

Now, you can use these people's works for one-off's, or for themes, or
for your own site, or whatever. That's up to you. We're only concerned
about what is in our theme repository. If you want to use that code
for other purposes not involving WordPress.org, then that's all up to
you, man. :)

-Otto