[theme-reviewers] Possible additions to Theme Unit Test data

Amy Hendrix sabreuse at gmail.com
Tue May 1 02:01:18 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I just had a conversation in IRC with George Stephanis from the core
UI crew. They're planning to add styling for several of the HTML5
input types (input type="date", type="url", and so on) to Twenty Ten
and Twenty Eleven, and he asked if we could add a set of form fields
to the Theme Unit Test data.

The proposed theme changes are here: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20579
And HTML for the unit test is here: http://cl.ly/2E3M103q1V2s3k1Z0X1w

We don't require HTML5, at least not yet, so it would clearly be out
of our scope to require the new input types, but I *do* think it would
be worth adding a page to the Layout Test for form elements even
without making it a review requirement: ugly (or inconsistent) default
form elements are UGLY, and the Theme Unit Test is useful as an
education and testing tool as much as a part of the review.

As a separate request, I'd also like to see us add a multilingual
content test: even though we default to English for the main theme
language, themes should still be able to handle non-English *content*
whether it's extended-Latin, Cyrillic, RTL, Asian, etc. Even with the
correct database encoding, designs can get pretty ugly with the wrong
meta charset or even bad font choices. I'd love to see a Layout Test
section with quotes in a few of the more common character sets; I
suspect there are people on this list who can come up with a far
better variety of both languages and quotes than I can ;)

What say we?

A.