[theme-reviewers] Why the double standards and why Pagelines gets special treatment?

Trent Lapinski trent at cyberchimps.com
Mon Mar 26 00:23:28 UTC 2012

Replies below.

--Trent Lapinski
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 25, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Trent Lapinski <trent at cyberchimps.com> wrote:
>> PageLines was then featured on WordPress.org. It was one of the first upsell themes to ever be featured on WordPress.org, and the criteria of which was determined to be that Otto simply decides what themes should or should not be featured.
>
> Before you go singling me out, note that I've said this before and
> you're apparently not listening: ANYBODY with moderator rights or
> above to the themes directory can change the featured themes. This
> includes me and about 20-30 other people.

Please don't mistake my frustration over this as anything personal against you Otto. I was just simply repeating what I was told by you a few weeks ago when this topic was first brought up.

>> I still believe it is a conflict of interest for PageLines to be featured, and it is not in the best interest of WordPress.org or the WordPress community due to the issues I have raised above, and I'm not sure why this has be brought up time and time again by so many different people to be taken seriously.
>
> We disagree with you. Are you finished now?

I understand or clearly we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm not the one who lied to this review team. My themes are fully GPL, and can be used on as many websites as customers wish, I don't charge $400 for a developer version to remove the credit link at the bottom, I don't rebrand the WordPress login page, I don't have a Store API, and even if I did any of those things my themes would then not be approved.

While our opinions may differ, it's still not right, and myself and several other theme authors and users feel this way otherwise this would not be brought up continually by so many different people both on this review list and in the forums.

I hate writing these emails, and I don't want to argue with you or anyone else that I respect such as Pross, but at the same time I believe in the GPL, and fairness.

-Trent Lapinski