[theme-reviewers] Theme Review for blog and business (CMS) themes

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Mar 19 19:03:52 UTC 2012

A few points:

First, if someone believes that a ticket was closed prematurely, or based
on mostly non-critical issues, the first recourse is to leave a comment,
stating such, in the ticket. That is the primary - if not the only - way to
engage in such dialogue. Reviewers are volunteers, are all human, and are
subject to mistakes and inconsistencies. It never hurts to ask.

Second, if someone is unsure about how to meet certain guidelines, or what
certain guidelines mean, ASK. Ask in the review ticket following a review.
Ask on the mail-list before submission. The Theme Review Team can't know
what developers are struggling with if they don't ask us - and when they DO
ask us, we are always willing to help answer those questions. Without such
communication, we can't differentiate between the developers who are truly
trying to play by the rules but are struggling to do so, and the developers
who are simply throwing pasta against the wall to see what will stick. And
given the workload of the review queue, unless we know that a developer
wants help, we don't have a lot of time to spare to try to differentiate.

Third, Reviewers *should* be more active now, both with following up on
subsequent tickets and also with holding tickets open to allow for
submission of follow-up tickets. But these actions are completely at the
discretion of each reviewer. Again, the best way to ensure that a reviewer
will exercise that discretion is to communicate in the ticket, so that the
reviewer knows that you are doing what you can to pass the review
successfully.

These two issues: review turn-around time, and number of times through the
review "cycle", are at odds with each other. The more we focus on
shortening the turn-around time, the less time is spent with each ticket,
thereby increasing the number of times a Theme may undergo a review before
ultimate approval; conversely, the more time we spend ensuring that reviews
are thorough and complete, so that a Theme undergoes fewer reviews before
approval, the longer the review queue grows, and therefore the greater the
turn-around time becomes.

Ultimately, the way to short-circuit those competing odds is to
*communicate*, in the ticket, with the reviewer.

Chip