[theme-reviewers] Theme Review for blog and business (CMS) themes

Mario Peshev mario at peshev.net
Mon Mar 19 16:59:52 UTC 2012

Listing several comments from trac reviews and the theme review page:

REQUIRED: Theme options must be added to the database via a single options
array, rather than separately - I know that it is a good-to-have, but I
wouldn't personally reject a theme for that reason.

Recommended (highly) is the support of all add_theme_support features.
Well, for some themes this might be obsolete. Let's take super minimalist -
clean classic themes (no post thumbnails) or specifically business themes
or anything else (no custom backgrounds, headers).

Our theme test data advices us, as authors and/or reviewers, to test the
site with very long titles, headings, anything that could break the layout.
This is normally good-to-have and very hard-to-achieve. This leads to
limited design creativity actions as reviewers keep declining theme
submissions by testing with a blog title with 150 characters or the
super-large-title-test-post that is in the test data.

wp_link_pages and pagination hooks might not be used as well. I think that
the pagination in WordPress with next/prev only is not useful and normally
use custom or third-party solutions so having this as required doesn't make
sense to me. Especially for a corporate/business site that doesn't even
need news (pages only). SInce I've bought around 80 themes from ThemeForest
for clients and friends and so, a percentage of them doesn't use news or
blog.

The required CSS classes or HTML tag stylings are a common reason to reject
a theme as well. .wp-caption, .wp-caption-text, .gallery-caption, .sticky,
.bypostauthor are classes I add specifically for a theme before submission,
never used in my demos or sites otherwise.

Some themes are rejected due to: 'this is not described in readme.txt'. We
should probably define a template to be filled for every theme, for a
standardization. In addition to that people won't google the markup styling
for readme files, common thing for themes and plugins on WPORG.

There are other remarks as well, but these are a few I just found out.

A quick offtopic, this is not working:
http://themes.trac.wordpress.org/report/14 , outputs:

*Trac detected an internal error:*

KeyError: 'numrows'