[theme-reviewers] add_custom_background()

Mats Birch birch at birchware.se
Mon Mar 12 21:28:02 UTC 2012

It has been pointed out to me, during the last review of my theme,
Kippis (ticket 6839, the discussion is in ticket 6834), that I should
implement add_custom_background().

I have dug into it, and have some thoughts on the subject. Here goes:

I don't think it would be beneficial, neither to the user nor the
developer, to implement add_custom_background().

The obvious one: All theme options should be in one place.

The functionality of such a standardized feature could (of course) never
be versatile enough for all purposes.

My theme, for example, have an option to toggle the display (on/off) of
the image. It also has a choice of foreground color. I also plan to
implement scaling/cropping, a small gallery of images to choose from,
and a list of predefined "settings packs", of course including images.

So my conclusion is that it would be a waste of time to implement
add_custom_background().

Your thoughts?

(I haven't tried out add_custom_image_header() yet, but I suspect
similar issues there.)