[theme-reviewers] Ticket recheck by Admin

Michael Fields michaelfields at automattic.com
Mon Mar 12 21:25:51 UTC 2012

 > We currently require derivatives of Twenty Ten/Twenty Twelve to use
their own namespace for function names, hooks, etc. I see no reason to
treat Underscores derivatives any differently.

As far as I can tell from reading
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review the use of prefixes on hooks
names is not a requirement. There are two places where prefixes are
discussed:

1. Theme Namespacing: " Themes are *required* to use a unique slug as a
prefix for all custom function names, classes, public/global variables,
database entries (Theme options, post custom metadata, etc.) "

2. Security and Privacy: " Themes are *required* to prefix all options,
custom functions, custom variables, and custom constants with theme-slug
(or appropriate variant)."

Required prefixes for hooks are not listed in either sentence.
Is there another place where this is addressed?

I do not believe that themes should be required to prefix all hook names
used in the theme. There are valid use-cases for not prefixing them like
plugin integration:
https://github.com/mfields/nighthawk/blob/master/category.php#L23

If this was to be added to the requirements, would it be possible to add
a case-by-case clause to it somehow?