[theme-reviewers] tracking code in themes

Sayontan Sinha sayontan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 20:28:17 UTC 2012

Chip,
The "adherence to free software philosophy" cuts both ways. Take a look
here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/akismet/stats/. The pie chart
there tells you about active versions, and this is provided by WP for all
its plugins, *without the informed consent of the end user*. One might
argue that WordPress is not a "third party", but that doesn't change the
fact that users never provide their consent to let WP mine information on
which version of a plugin they will use.

While as a theme and plugin developer, and as a user I don't particularly
care where this discussion lands (I am never going to add tracking code
myself but I am perfectly okay if WP introduces this in the repository), it
does seem like this team is trying to propose something that WP doesn't
adhere to by itself. Of course, I am certain that PII such as web site
information etc. aren't collected, but this is a privacy gray area
nonetheless.

Sayontan.

--
Sayontan Sinha