[theme-reviewers] Proposal for new guideline

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Mar 8 14:22:48 UTC 2012

I have "roughed in" this change. Please make comments so that we can
improve it as necessary:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review#Guidelines

Related changes:

1. In order to avoid confusion between the "Presentation vs Functionality"
guidelines and the "Theme Functionality" guidelines, I changed the "Theme
Functionality" terminology to "Theme Features", which is the same
terminology used throughout the Codex to refer to Nav Menus, etc.
2. Because it might fit better there, I moved the Favicon guidelines from
"Including other Resources" to "Presentation vs Content". The favicon is
more of a matter of site *identity*, but it falls into the same category of
things that shouldn't change when the Theme changes.

I think this will be a positive addition to the Guidelines. We have been
operating somewhat under this principle all along, but never actually put
it into the Guidelines. Having it there will allow us to encourage more and
more best practices, such as proper filtering of wp_title() for output of
the HTML document title.

Chip