[theme-reviewers] Something we need to checkfor3.4appearance->background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 12 22:42:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> Best way to have put it all day Chip, thank you.   That is the underlying
> discussion that should be talked about.

That discussion is already finished. You won that battle yesterday.
Trunk is currently backwards-compatible with 3.3. WordPress 3.4 will
have the exact same behavior as 3.3 in this matter. There's nothing
left to discuss there. It's not setting background none anymore.

> These are the two thoughts (as I see it)
>
> 1)
> ( Remove background image )  Button, in appearance –> background removes all
> visible instances of background image [sic: of everything, everywhere,
> background image is empty completely] (if) defaults are set in the parent
> theme.   Which end result would be that the theme designer would have to
> either support it or not.  If they do then all previous made child themes
> and plugins that override CSS would become obsolete.
>
> 2)
> ( Remove background image ) Button, in appearance –> background is taken as
> “remove background image [sic: that you set here in the appearance –>
> background ]” defaults to the settings in the style.css of the child
> theme/plugin/parent.  In which case behavior would remain consistent with
> not setting defaults in the arguments.   To provide end results of clearing
> a background image, the style.css of the parent theme does not set a
> background in the body.

Both of these are exactly the same thing. The core code cannot
possibly know if the theme's style.css has a background property set
or not. So, currently, if the background is removed and the color
isn't set, then no custom-background class is defined, and whatever is
in the style.css shines through.

That argument is over. It happened yesterday. It's been decided. The
battle is finished.

Given that, we've moved on to a new discussion here. The discussion is
over what we should require of themes in the directory *going
forward*.