[theme-reviewers] Something we need to check for 3.4 appearance -> background

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jun 11 22:49:08 UTC 2012

Phillip, I wish you would respond with one email instead of three. I
can't multi-quote everything you're getting wrong here.

I'm trying this right now, and as it turns out, the suggested stuff
nacin wrote in that patch doesn't actually work. Without the
custom-background class, there's no way to override the style.css's
background.

In other words, it's now completely broken, with no fix short of
requiring theme-authors to simply not specify a background-image in
the style.css (when they're also using the add-theme-support for
custom-backgrounds).

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> I like the wording, but what if the theme designer has a fallback of an
> image "by design" ?

That should be absolutely disallowed by the theme review process,
period. That is just pure broken UX.

> If the end user of the theme wants to customize it further they have plenty
> of avenues they have been using for many years to remove a background image.

And now they should have a better way. That way being to click the
"Remove Background Image" button.