[theme-reviewers] Decaying of older themes and mass emailing users pre 3.0 to update their theme.

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 12:29:30 UTC 2012

@Amy - Thanks for the support (*grin*) although I imagine the patch I wrote
will need to be revisited with the new WP_Theme API in place.

As to the discussion in general, I agree with Otto on not suspending a
theme without good cause and being old is not good enough. Failing
miserably on security or some other serious issue is obviously justifiable,
but as noted, if the entire theme uses deprecated functions they still
exist and the theme will "work" to the best of my knowledge ... it's just
not recommended to use?!.

I know I made suggestions in the past and we have gone round and round a
few times trying to come up with a working solution ... those discussions
were what prompted the patch that @Amy noted to be submitted. Once/if that
patch is added, then a REQUIRED guideline to make those details be included
with new submissions and down the road those themes can be simply (and
possibly much more easily) flagged as out of date or untested. Even
existing themes can be noted as untested until they have been updated with
this key information. This in itself may be the impetus needed to bring the
repository as a whole in to a more current status.

Cais.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <philip at frumph.net