[theme-reviewers] Public Domain Dedication

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jul 11 13:22:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Emil Uzelac <emil at themeid.com> wrote:
> Quick question and I know that this was already discussed and that I was the
> one to preach about CC not being GPL-Compatible with any version and all
> that,

The problem with the Creative Commons is that there is no such thing
as a "Creative Commons" license. There's actually like a zillion of
them. Most of them are not compatible with the GPL in any fashion.

Seemingly just to be annoying about it, they also offer URLs for CC0,
which is essentially just a declaration of public domain. This is GPL
compatible: http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

And just to muddy up the water more, they even offer a URL for the GPL
itself, which just redirects to the GPLv2 listing:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/

So bottom line, there is no "Creative Commons" or "CC" license. Look
at the actual details to see what the license actually is. CC-BY,
CC-SA, CC-NC, and any combination of these, are not GPL-compatible.