[theme-reviewers] Special demo config for wp-themes.com, allowed?

Anca@anca.tv anca at anca.tv
Mon Jan 16 22:18:06 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this list for a while.  Hope it's cool to chime in.  I'm not part of the theme review process, but I spend several hours each week helping neophytes learn how to set up their WordPress sites.

One problem with the default setup is that it's not always clear to users how to configure the theme in order to achieve the end result shown the demo.  This is really an issue with premium themes (StudioPress comes to mind, Modularity) where the demo has a full set of content that shows a gorgeous site, rather than  bare-bones framework which is what you get out of the box.

Some premium themes solve this problem by having a "demo" file you can load which contains posts and categories such that people can see the basic building blocks for the site, but then you wind up with content in your site that doesn't really belong there - and, if you install several of these themes you wind up with a hot mess.

It would help if theme authors (and providers) gave a succinct overview of how to achieve the demo theme look step by step, with content of your own.  These things take time to produce, but your users will be rather grateful if you provide them.

Anca.