[theme-reviewers] "Theme Options" without a theme options page

Caroline Moore calobee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:14:44 UTC 2012

The theme I'm reviewing (#6411) includes icons for Facebook and Twitter in
the header, and by default they link to #facebook and #twitter,
respectively.  The readme suggests that users can add their own URLs by
editing header.php.

This doesn't seem user-friendly--upon activation the theme displays buttons
that are, effectively, broken, and then the user has to go out of their way
to edit header.php (assuming they know how to do so in the first place) to
make it work.

In my review, can I require the icons be "opt-in" by the user, or commented
out by default? A Theme Options area of some kind would be ideal but I
don't think that's something we can require theme devs implement, is it?

Thanks,
Caro