[theme-reviewers] How to get a theme featured?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Feb 26 00:22:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Trent Lapinski <trent at cyberchimps.com> wrote:
> Emil,
>
> Who is the person to bring this to their attention then?
>
> I'm aware that those posts are likely paid, I was simply stating a TC post
> shouldn't be grounds for anything, especially if it was a paid post.
>
> Obviously someone added PageLines to the featured list, and I would like to
> know either 1) why? or 2) how I can get my own theme featured.

- The criteria for being featured is that somebody with in charge
thinks it should be featured.
- The criteria for not being featured anymore is that somebody in
charge thinks it shouldn't be featured anymore.

I made PageLines featured. The reason I did it is because it was a
special case, I reviewed the code and features of it at one point,
thought it was pretty cool, and so I popped it in there.

Whether it was "upsell" or not is not a factor I care about. I have no
problem with upselling. However, I also have not reviewed iFeature and
know nothing of it.

Honestly, what is featured is basically at the whim and discretion of
me, the theme reviewer admins, and anybody else with privileges on
wordpress.org. We have no set plan, goal, or specific reasons for
adding or removing from that list. Whoever told you that "upsell" was
no good was probably not aware of how that list works.

If you want to argue that the list doesn't change much, then I'd agree
with you. I'd like it to change more often. However, I'd prefer that
it not be changing every day or something to that effect. There's some
themes we will always want to be there like twenty eleven, or the
upcoming twenty twelve, for example. Annotum Base is unusual and
different enough that it should be featured for a long time. But maybe
it's time to retire a few like zbench or adventure journal or some
such.

Emil: I would oppose changing it to be merely a "top ten" list. We
generally feature themes we think are new or interesting there, to
draw attention to lesser used themes, or themes that we want to
promote, or themes that do something unusual, etc. It has more value
that way than simply being some kind of popularity contest.