[theme-reviewers] Author URI q

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 21 22:14:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a look at the ticket: this theme asks for an exception on
> add_submenu_page() because plugins rely on it. Is that permissible? Why
> wouldn't plugin authors create their own top-level menu instead of relying
> on the theme's? I can foresee a situation where several theme authors might
> request this as an exception saying that they have ancillary plugins
> developed by others, and the plugin developers rely on a top-level menu
> required by the theme.

Actually, I've always thought that rule was a bit too tight and could
do with some loosening up a bit. There's no technical reason to
restrict theme authors into one-and-only-one menu item, for example.

I don't much like themes (or plugins) adding top level menus myself,
but I don't see anything particularly bad about a theme adding more
than one submenu under Appearance, for example. Grouping different
sets of related functionality into better places for example. Too many
themes try to implement tabbing or some such to shove everything onto
one page, which isn't very user friendly.