[theme-reviewers] Fwd: [New post] Team Update: Browsing Buddies

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Feb 19 00:23:08 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Emil Uzelac <emil at themeid.com> wrote:
> I don't recall this change. Maybe @Otto knows.

The uploader has always been looking for PNG only. Though a JPG or GIF
will technically work in core, I haven't bothered to remove that
restriction from the uploader because:

a) lazy
b) I don't want to see animated GIFs on the directory, anywhere.
C'mon, you know it would happen.
c) lazy
d) If a screenshot is supposed to represent the look of the theme,
then PNG is the better compression for it anyway. JPG works for
photographs, not graphical elements.
e) lazy

I'm perfectly okay with changing it, but I'd rather there be a better
reason given than "it works okay to have GIF/JPG shots in core code".
PNGs make more sense to me for all sane cases.