[theme-reviewers] Fwd: [New post] Team Update: Browsing Buddies

Helen Hou-Sandi helen.y.hou at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 22:49:32 UTC 2012

Hello theme reviewers,

As I'm working on the multiple screenshots piece, while I don't have
anything authoritative or definitive to say about how this affects theme
guidelines, here are a couple thoughts I have that could use a sanity check:

1. My understanding is that right now there is no specified size for
screenshots, only a suggested guideline of a 4:3 aspect ratio. It appears
that I will be taking the size of the screenshots in the admin up from
240x180 to 300x225. As I browsed through some screenshots, I noted that
many themes are not sticking to the aspect ratio, and quite a few have
screenshots that are smaller than 300x225, and many have larger ones, some
even significantly larger. I believe in the codex it mentions 320x240,
which seems to be used often, but is a little big in the context of the
admin. Nothing breaks with the variant sizes, but it would be nice to have
a little more consistency and also prevent bloat with larger images that
aren't used anywhere that I can find. At the moment I don't know of any
plans to go any bigger, as the customize frame (otherwise known as Gandalf)
really functions as the large-size interactive preview.

2. My dev teammate (Mike S., or DH-Shredder) and I have been told to
operate on the assumption that screenshots will be named similarly to the
way they are in the plugin repo, e.g. screenshot-#.ext. As right now they
are just named screenshot.ext, I suppose both the .org API side and the
get_themes() function will have to accommodate accordingly, and perhaps go
from screenshot-2.ext and up.

Do the above sound safe/sane? I'm hoping that it isn't a huge impact, but
since you're all keeping tabs, I thought I'd jump in here. Thanks for all
the work you do!

Helen