[theme-reviewers] Shortcodes

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Feb 18 20:48:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> That said, oembed is very much hookable with actions and filters, and
> it's easily possible for a theme to use the built in shortcodes in
> compatible ways and then adjust the implementation to fit the details.
> In other words, why do you have to use a theme-specific shortcode? Why
> not override the existing embed shortcode for your specific cases and
> adjustments? Then somebody migrating to your theme from another and
> who already has lots of [embed]s will gain the benefits too.

I'll provide an example.

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/19500/oembed-thumbnails-and-wordpress

That page has a bit of code I wrote that changes the oembed for
youtube videos to show a thumbnail of the video instead of embedding
the video itself.

This is obviously a simplistic example, but it shows an easy (trivial)
way to modify existing functionality without introducing
vendor-specific methodologies. You can make that function doing the
replacement as complex as you want, and have as many settings screens
as you want.