[theme-reviewers] error suppression

Michael Fields michaelfields at automattic.com
Mon Feb 13 16:20:48 UTC 2012

On 2/13/12 7:59 AM, Chip Bennett wrote:
> The usefulness of Debug Bar comes through again!
>
> Nevertheless, the underlying point remains: suppression is not an
> acceptable substitute for resolution of notices/warnings/errors.

Generally, I agree with this statement. Personally, I dislike error
suppression as a solution for anything ... anything other than when
paired with getimagesize() as it is used in Duotone. I have never found
a good way to resolve the warning reported by it for remote images.

The reason that it exists is to determine whether the first image in a
post is vertical or horizontal; a different template width will be used
depending on this condition. getimagesize() is the last resort in a
chain of other methods of determining the orientation of the image. My
concern here was to not break compatibility with earlier versions of the
theme. There were a lot of changes between these two versions and I did
my best to ensure that users would be able to transition as smoothly as
possible. That being said, I personally do not have a problem removing
the getimagesize() check from the theme.

Might it be a good idea to add the use of @ to suppress errors to the
guidelines - if it is not already there?

- Mike