[theme-reviewers] explicit license statements for binaries

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 17:26:04 UTC 2012

I think we're losing sight of what the intention of the GPL on the
themes are... to be able to modify and reuse or redistribute the theme.
  I don't think it's really all that important to get so nit picky about
each item within the theme on its own license, except as a technicality.

I think the whole theme itself should be considered an individual "work"
and when you use a public domain image (as I do) the entire thing
becomes a a new work and can retain a GPL copyright as a whole.  While
this doesn't prevent someone who knows the image is public domain from
re-using that image however they want, I don't think there should be any
assumptions made.