[theme-reviewers] Reconsider requirement of dynamic_sidebar() and register_sidebar()

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 21:50:41 UTC 2012

A single column main body theme layout would likely have many uses ... I
think it would be fine to not have a left or right column sidebar provided
you are going forward with the footer "sidebar" capable of handling widgets
... which would also preclude you from removing the Appearance | Widgets
menu item as it would them remove core functionality from the end-users
options. Although having no widget areas whatsoever is not strictly against
the guidelines (at least not that I recall any interpretations to that
effect) I wouldn't recommend it, but I definitely would skew the design
towards it in this case.

A clear "Theme Description" stating there are "no sidebars aka left or
right column(s)" or something similar would be strongly recommended ... but
even that would not be a requirement, just a nice-to-do for your potential
end-users.

Cais.