[theme-reviewers] Reconsider requirement of dynamic_sidebar() and register_sidebar()

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Fri Aug 31 21:25:42 UTC 2012

The Appearance > Widgets screen remains but is easily removable with
remove_submenu_page(), which is something I'd definitely do if I didn't
have sidebars.

Widgets are technically a theme-supported feature in WordPress just like
post formats and thumbnails.  If you follow the code, register_sidebar()
just calls up add_theme_support() for you.

===

line 561 of wp-includes/widgets.php:

add_theme_support('widgets');

===

Honestly, core should really remove this menu item if the the current
theme doesn't support widgets.  I don't see any reason for it to be
displayed and consider it a UI/UX fail.