[theme-reviewers] Feature slider default links

Emil Uzelac emil at themeid.com
Fri Aug 10 00:17:10 UTC 2012

About 6+ months ago, I've released my second public Theme called
Responsive. This month Theme will "close" 200,000 downloads and "you" would
say wait! this is definitely more than enough to learn what users do,
gather some GA intelligence and voila. But no it takes much more than that.

Majority of users that I interact with are "newbies" and not only to
WordPress. Users get confused extremely often and I "blame"
that strictly on documentation and the way we interact with them (*this is
me, talking about me* :) . But also, I am very pleased how quickly majority
of them learn stuff as well and I would rather have 10 newbies than one dev
any time, but that's just me.

There was the reason why PayPal was simple for so many years and why they
didn't change their design, even the links from (sim·ple·ton) blue, very
similar goes for eBay etc.

Did anyone had a chance to see or even watch Matt live in San Francisco
this year? Well we all* did!

Well he kind of touched this area as well, with the welcome screen,
how successful that was and for what type of users the screen was designed
on the first place, maybe instead of redirecting our users to Theme
Options, More Themes etc, we should try that with the welcome screen of our
own, simple A/B testing just to see how that turns out. From that section
we can see what users click and where they're coming from. One Theme can
have welcome screen while you can keep whatever you currently have in
another one and...

Create GA funnel and goals and in short period of time you will be
surprised how much of extra data "rolls" in.

P.S. This message is a general response and my 2¢ :)

Emil