[theme-reviewers] Feature slider default links

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Aug 9 21:36:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Trent Lapinski <trent at cyberchimps.com> wrote:
> I hear you, it is not that I'm asking for special treatment really, I am
> simply asking for permission to have my feature slider links to somewhere
> since this is a grey area that is not clearly defined.

Trent, the problem is basically that you're creating a link somewhere
which, if the user doesn't change it, points back to yourself. This
*screams* SEO-spamminess. Even if your intentions are good, the result
is what it is.

Linking back to your own site on the public-facing side of things is
allowed in specifically one place, the footer, and with specifically
one of two links, the two URIs in the style.css header.

If you need to put a link in there to show that it is indeed linkable,
then it would make a heck of a lot more sense to have that link back
to the person's own site. home_url() would be the way I'd really
recommend doing it for a default link.