[theme-reviewers] Feature slider default links

Trent Lapinski trent at cyberchimps.com
Thu Aug 9 03:55:36 UTC 2012

Chip,

The feature slider that presents the slides is built into our theme, as are the options for the feature slider. We had to put defaults for those options in our theme so the slider would function properly on the theme preview on .org.

We use to leave this default blank, and inserted a "#" in there instead, but that of course lead to dozens of support questions on a weekly basis asking us where to put a custom url for the feature slider. No matter how much we documented this, it didn't seem to matter.

We got tired of answering the same question over and over again, and thats when we just put our link in there instead and it seemed to have resolved the issue because it forces users to enter their own URL and we haven't had anyone asking about this feature since then (this was literally months ago and we forgot about it until a reviewer mentioned it recently). People seem to understand replacing the default URL better than an empty entry field (I suppose when they see an actual URL they just simply understand), and I'm simply trying to prevent having to answer that question multiple times a week again.

I imagine if used home_url() people would keep asking us why when they click the feature slider it keeps taking them back to the homepage, which will just raise a whole new issue.

I'm not opposed to keeping the link consistent or linking to the documentation or something along those lines, I would just prefer having an actual default URL in there so people know immediately it has that functionality. We deal with enough, "You're feature slider is broken because I didn't read the docs yet."

--Trent Lapinski
CEO of CyberChimps LLC
trent at cyberchimps.com
Mobile (714) 904-4280