[theme-reviewers] Updating Custom Backgrounds and Custom Headers for WordPress 3.4

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Apr 16 15:16:54 UTC 2012

The implementation is essentially equivalent, although you may lose some of
the power of the new implementation if you maintain backward compatibility.

That said: I have seen some initial 3.4 implementations that use
function_exists( 'wp_get_theme' ) to determine version, since
wp_get_theme() was added in 3.4.

By the way, the Theme Review guidelines only allow backward compatibility
with one (recommended) or two (optionally) major versions of WordPress.
That means that, once 3.4 is released, only backward compatibility to 3.3
(recommended) or 3.2 (optionally) will be permitted for repository-hosted
Themes.

Chip