[theme-reviewers] Two more questions

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Sep 17 21:27:11 UTC 2011

See inline...

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Caroline Moore <calobee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Cais, for answering my first one! Two more quick q's and then I
> think I can wrap this one up.
>
> Chip, you'd noted in a previous review of this theme "Theme must not
> disable comments on Pages, or require custom fields to enable."  To clarify,
> you meant that pages should *not* use custom fields to enable/disable
> comments? Am I reading that right?

Correct. WordPress includes a per-post (and per-page) comments setting.
Themes should not require ANY UI outside of this core UI for
enabling/disabling comments.

> And a more general question: The theme is designed to display only excerpts
> on index.php, and does not use the_content() to display post content. This
> breaks some functionality--the "Read More" link does not jump to the "more"
> tag location. Is this OK? If so, should I make a note for the author to
> include a brief explanation in readme.txt to this effect?

Displaying excerpts in ANY context is fine, as long as the Theme displays
full post content *somewhere* (minimally, at least in the single-post view).

However, use of the_content() is required when displaying the full-post
content - if for no other reason, because MANY Plugins rely on the existence
of the_content(), and the the_content filter.

Where the Theme jumps from the "Read More" link is less critical, though
that should probably be left as Plugin territory.