[theme-reviewers] Question on Custom Headers

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Sep 7 23:14:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Sayontan Sinha <sayontan at gmail.com> wrote:
> So a question for the reviewers - the review guidelines state:
>
>> Theme is recommended to incorporate the following WordPress core
>> functionality, but is not required to do so. However, if incorporated,
>> functionality must support the core WordPress implementation:
>>
>> add_custom_image_header().
>

> Is it okay to not use the above function with a custom header then?

The word "recommended" is bolded for a reason. If it said "required"
then we'd be having a different kind of discussion.

If you're doing something like allowing the user to select tiled
images and implementing them through CSS backgrounds, then that's not
really a "custom image header", as I see it. That's more like a
"custom header background" or something. Maybe the wording could be
better in your theme, to distinguish it? Wording is tricky that way.