[theme-reviewers] Submitting a One-Page Placeholder Theme

Kirk Wight kwight at kwight.ca
Sat Oct 29 14:42:27 UTC 2011

What distinguishes "niche" themes from "regular" themes is often one thing:
only partial or no implementation of blog functionality. As far as I can
tell, most of the checks from Theme Check and the uploader rely on the theme
being usable as a blog.

This summer, we found out from the user survey that a lot of developers use
WordPress for sites that don't even have a blog component (just a "CMS", for
lack of a better term) . To me, niche themes are simply themes that, for
whatever reason, choose not to implement full blog functionality.

We could add a tag filter under Features that is just "blog". If this tag
exists, the uploader and Theme Check plugins check according to the current
criteria. If not, a simpler context can be used (presence of readme.txt,
etc). Obviously this would require rewriting the uploader and theme eval
plugins to react conditionally, but it would seem simpler and more elegant
to me than getting in to theme slugs, white-listing specific users, and
trying to create specific tag filters for each non-standard use-case.