[theme-reviewers] Security of themes (just top layer)

Mario Peshev mario at peshev.net
Sun Oct 9 05:52:06 UTC 2011

Lol @Otto, you've been the source of all that as it seems :)

@Emil - yes, I know this one specifically is fixed (even in the advisory
it's recommended for people to actually update to the latest release). I was
just thinking about some internal process of following repositories and
advisories (just as Otto said he does on a regular basis) and notify authors
on this - preferably with ready security patches. We don't have any control
on people running sites with these themes so we can't notify them now, but I
was brainstorming out loud on different methods to point some critical
security troubles or run a mailing list (to point out latest security vulns
for themes) or something like this.

Just for the sake of the overall WP community. Some of the themes might even
be part of the WordPress.com system with millions of people running them
(and we don't want the same freaking scenario as the DDoS attack in March).

@Otto, I'm going to research the latest plugin vulnerability trends in the
mailing lists tonight and report accordingly if there is anything still
available in the repo.

All the best,

Mario Peshev
Training and Consulting Services @ DevriX