[theme-reviewers] Comments are disabled notices

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Oct 5 20:39:06 UTC 2011

Where my thinking is on this one:

The only really *critical* criterion is that Pages don't display the
message, because of the (unfortunately coined) "WordPress as CMS" use case.
Everything else, I *think* can perhaps be considered as design intent -
unless there is a compelling UX consideration?

What I would like to *avoid* is frequently changing guidelines in this area
- so if we want to change the guidelines now, let's nail down rock-solid
reasoning for whatever we come up with, and get it right the first time.

Personally, I'm hesitant to make anything RECOMMENDED, without a clear
consensus. I'm in favor of recommending to display "comments are closed" on
Posts, with or without existing comments. People are acclimated to blog
posts having a comment form, so such a message would basically always make
sense.

So, let's start here, and build from it:

REQUIRED
* Do not display "comments are closed" on Pages (with no comments?)

OPTIONALLY
* Display "comments are closed" on Posts (with or without comments?)
* Display "comments are closed" on Posts and Pages with existing comments

How would you (all) write them differently, and why?

(On a related note: this discussion will likely lead to some changes to the
Theme Unit Tests, to account for all use-case permutations: Posts and Pages
with and without comments, and with comments enabled/disabled.)

(On an unrelated note: I would MUCH rather see these use cases rolled into
filters for core functions, i.e. comment_form(), rather than cobbled
together like this.)

Chip