[theme-reviewers] Comments are disabled notices

Ian Stewart ian at iandanielstewart.com
Wed Oct 5 19:50:10 UTC 2011

With our recent themes (and some of our older themes) on WordPress.com we've chosen to only show 'comment are disabled' notices on posts that actually have comments and hiding it if ( comments_open() || ( '0' != get_comments_number() && ! comments_open() ) ).

Showing it otherwise makes the 'comments are disabled' notices a bug for anyone wanting to use WordPress as a CMS or a Gruberesque blog. It's unnecessary for blog posts that have comments turned off AND also don't have any comments. It really only makes sense for posts with comments that also have new comments turned off. In that case, it's helpful to explain where the comment form went. Otherwise, it's kinda weird and annoying.

Ian