[theme-reviewers] A Question About Theme Review/Submission

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue May 24 21:22:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Ryan Frankel <ryan.frankel at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's too bad that this type of thing can't yet be supported by the repo.  Where do the discussions for features occur?

Well, like I said, we're still in 3.2 beta, so it will be a while
before 3.3 discussions start happening, but you can follow the
development blog here:
http://wpdevel.wordpress.com/

The chats happen on Wednesday's on IRC. Details are in the sidebar on that site.

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Ryan Frankel <ryan.frankel at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Does this also mean if I make it pass all of the tests it would still be rejected by the Theme Review team?

"Rejected" is a strong word. Even if they approve it (which they
probably wouldn't honestly), we couldn't allow it into the repository
at this time. We have approved child themes, but we want to make sure
all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed before actually offering it
up in the theme directory. The theme directory has a direct line to
every WP installation, so we kinda want to make sure everything works
properly before actually pushing themes in there.

The whole concept of purpose-built themes is kinda new. I've seen a
few really nifty ones, and can't think of a reason not to have them,
but right now, with core being the way it is, that way lies some user
confusion. We want to make sure that it is well understood by users
what they're getting before they get it. The idea of "themes" as being
"apps" is relatively new, so there's bound to be some core changes to
segregate and explain these types of things before they get in.