[theme-reviewers] Best practice CSS options

Ryan Hellyer ryan at pixopoint.com
Sun May 8 03:00:59 UTC 2011

> From: Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>
> Subject: Re: [theme-reviewers] Best practice CSS options
> It's still better, even from a performance perspective, to output it
> directly in the document head.
> (And most of the file-operation methods used to do such file-writing
require
> PHP functions that are prohibited in repository-hosted Themes.)
> Chip

Well yes, but that's not really the point. Otherwise we'd all be dumping our
CSS into the head, but we don't, we use external files instead so that they
can be cached across the entire site and to separate them from the content.

What file-writing PHP functions are needed that are banned? I have a theme
which does this and it passes the theme checker plugin just fine. I'd been
working on the assumption that anything not blocked by the theme checker
plugin was acceptable on the repository.

thanks,
Ryan