[theme-reviewers] including feeds in header.php

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed May 4 13:22:46 UTC 2011

Earlier RSS and Atom feeds are non-useful. RSS 2 is in fact backwards
compatible, and ideally I'd prefer to see and RDF 0.91 and RSS 1.0
support just removed from the core entirely. They serve no purpose or
benefit to anybody. In fact, they are more often the cause of problems
when people are accidentally using them.

Also, there's no benefit to serving both an Atom and an RSS feed. The
content is the same and all feed readers can process both. Giving end
users a meaningless choice isn't very good UX. Pick one or the other
and just roll with it.

If you want to use Atom, there's a plugin for that:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/atom-default-feed/

-Otto

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Except Atom and earlier RSS aren't output by automatic-feed-links.
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
>> That's the very purpose of add_theme_support( 'automatic-feed-links' ). So,
>> no: those feed links should NOT be hard-coded in the document head.
>> Chip
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Jason Gottschalk <jason at gottschalk.ca>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is the following ok to include feeds in header.php or are they required to
>>> be called using add_theme_support( 'automatic-feed-links' ) in
>>> functions.php?
>>> <link rel="alternate" type="text/xml" title="RSS .92" href="<?php
>>> bloginfo('rss_url'); ?>" />
>>> <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Atom 0.3"
>>> href="<?php bloginfo('atom_url'); ?>"
>>> Thanks