[theme-reviewers] Bundling Plugins

Philip Walton philip at philipwalton.com
Mon May 2 15:15:46 UTC 2011

This is probably not feasible anytime in the near future, but it seems
to me that plugin-dependency (and the appropriate dependency checking)
should be a WordPress feature and not left open to the theme authors.
Put another way, WordPress should have a way to inform the user that a
particular theme cannot be activated if a particular plugin isn't
already activated and installed.

I'd bet we'd all agree that the best way to have plugin X's
functionality within theme Y is for the user to actually download plugin
X and theme Y. The only reason it's currently bundled with the theme is
to not add any extra inconvenience/confusion and to minimize any
additional roadblocks between downloading the theme and actually using it.

I'm not suggesting this be implemented now, and we could certainly come
up with best-practices in the meantime, but (if everyone agrees) perhaps
we could push to have this implemented in core.

Thoughts?