[theme-reviewers] Screenshot

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Mar 22 16:21:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Devin Price <devin at wptheming.com> wrote:
> I am about to release an update to my theme "Portfolio Press" and wanted
> discuss the requirement that screenshot.png "Should be a "reasonable
> facsimile" of the Theme after it is initially activated with default
> options."
>
> I think the text should state "Should be a "reasonable facsimile" of the
> Theme with default options".
>
> My theme might be an edge case, but when a user is looking for a portfolio
> theme, I think they want to see what the portfolio will look like when
> displayed.  The image here:
> http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/search.php?q=portfolio for "Portfolio
> Press" really gives you no idea what the theme looks like for its primary
> purpose because it won't have portfolio items on initial activation.
>
> I had my theme fail the review before because I included a screenshot of
> this page: http://themequery.com/portfolio/.  But if at all possible, I'd
> like to change it back to that and still meet the guidelines.  I think it's
> a better indication of what the user will be looking for when selecting a
> portfolio theme.

I wouldn't say that it has to have default content like just the About
page or something. If you want to use content that best illustrates
the usage of the theme, then that seems fine to me.

The screenshot should illustrate the theme as best as possible. The
reason for the rule as given is that too many people see the
screenshot as a means of advertising. It shouldn't be a picture of the
theme's site, nor should it contain advertising for the theme. But a
theme screenshot with some defaults and some Lorem Ipsum content is
perfectly acceptable.

BTW, if you need filler images, I like to use http://placekitten.com/. :)