[theme-reviewers] Including Creative Commons Attribution Code

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Mar 13 22:49:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Mike Little <wordpress at zed1.com> wrote:
> CC-BY-SA 3.0 is not listed as compatible with the GNU GPL on the GNU site
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses)
> therefore is *not* compatible.

Doesn't work that way. Compatibility of licenses is a function of the
wording of those licenses, not because of anything GNU says.

> Further, CC-BY-SA 2.0, is explicitly stated as *incompatible* with the GNU
> GPL.

I am aware of that, however I specifically stated "3.0", not "2.0".
For example, CC-BY 2.5 was incompatible because of wording issues.

> It is the attribution requirements in those licences which makes them
> incompatible with the GNU GPL. "You must attribute the work in the manner
> specified by the author or licensor", this clause allows an author to impose
> restrictions which are incompatible with the GNU GPL.

This is incorrect. While it's true that that wording is in the "human
readable" page on creativecommons.org, that is not the actual text of
the license. You can find the actual license here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

Any "incompatibility" would have to originate in that legal document,
not in a mere summary of it, especially one which is factually
incorrect (the attribution part is not as simplistic as you believe it
to be).

Nevertheless, this is a moot discussion.