[theme-reviewers] Comments are closed on pages

Jess Planck jess at funroe.net
Wed Mar 2 17:34:37 UTC 2011

Just wanted to point out that for minimalists out there it might be useless to inform the visitor of an inactive feature. Unless of course you like to say "nah nah, you can't comment or pingback"  (doing the moose-horns wave with your hands for emphasis is optional).

I do use the comments closed / pingback closed on posts (not usually on pages) on some personal sites. I typically remove or hide those notifications on websites I care about because I do consider it useless UI to visitors. Comments and pingback features were disabled on and those sites for a reason, I don't need to advertise that decision.

Please note that I wanted to point that out. I think that those notifications are useful in the majority of situations. BUT I actually have a lame edge case example for the (ironic) WP theme presentation site I threw(up) in December when I spoke to the NOMUG group at Tulane. All the comments are off with a start point for the slides at: http://work.funroe.net/talk/slides/ And yes if I did this again I would use a custom post type for slides and disable the comments and pings at the source.

Jess