[theme-reviewers] Required classes in style.css

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue Mar 1 21:12:45 UTC 2011

You can use the Theme Check
Plugin<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/theme-check>to test your
Theme against all of the same checks used by the upload script.
(This Plugin is also used during the Theme Review process.)

As for the required classes: yes; it is advisable to add empty class
declarations to style.css if you define the required classes in separate CSS
files.

Note that the required CSS classes are listed in the Theme Review
guidelines<http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review#WordPress-Generated_CSS_Classes>
:

Themes are *required* to support the following WordPress-defined CSS
classes<http://codex.wordpress.org/CSS#WordPress_Generated_Classes>,
or similar elements:

   - Alignment Classes:
      - .aligncenter
      - .alignleft
      - .alignright
   - Caption Related Classes:
      - .wp-caption
      - .wp-caption-text
      - .gallery-caption

Themes are *recommended* to support the following WordPress-generated
classes:

   - Post Classes:
      - .sticky
   - Comment Classes:
      - .bypostauthor

Note that the "recommended" status for .sticky and .bypostauthor is about to
be bumped up to "required".

Regards,

Chip